Music Review | Waiting | Mikey McCleary

I understand this is a late review from my side. In my defence, I heard this album few days back and the songs are so soothing that it compelled me to write this review.

For those who don't know - Mikey Mccleary is a New Zealand songwriter, composer, performer, producer and director living in Mumbai, India since 2007. He is not a new face in Bollywood. He has previously given music in movies like Shaitan, Nautanki Saala, Margarita with a Straw and others. You may know his work from the popular Vodafone theme song - Little Things You Do For Me (click here to check it out)

He has a YouTube channel called The Bartender where he fusions old Bollywood songs. I hope to get him featured on my blog for my "YouTube Discovery" series some day.

Alright, without further ado, let's get started with what you've been "Waiting" for. (see what I did there)

Listen on Saavn

Listen on YouTube

Tu Hai Toh Main Hoon

Singers:  Nikhil D'Souza, Anushka Manchanda
You remember how refreshing it feel after you come home from a hot sunny day outside and have a mast nimbu paani? This is exactly how this song is. It is not often that you hear male playback being used just for harmonies

Got My Eyes on You (English track)
Singer: Mikey Mccleary
Wow. Not so often you see so much emphasis on the trumpet in a song using the entire orchestra. Non-hindi song title by a non-hindi speaking singer (technically the music director himself) in a non-hindi movie title. Definitely not a hindi song nor an Indian song to any extent. But it is associated with an Indian movie, released under an Indian music company (Zee Music Company) and definitely got my eyes and ears hooked on it

Waiting For You (English track)
Singers: Anushka Manchanda, Mikey Mccleary
Aahaa... Another acoustic song. We all know how frustrated and impatient one can get while waiting for something/someone. This is just the song you wanted for that motivation during waiting period. "Take your time, I'll be fine. I won't give up and when you wake up, I'll be here by your side. Waiting for you, because there's nothing else I can do." Such blissful lyrics :)

Zara Zara
Singers: Kavita Seth, Vishal Dadlani
Two powerful singers with deep vocals. Expected them to play through a wide scale of notes and got that. Usually the male parts in a song are given low notes and female portions are given high notes. It's the other way round here. I found the high piano notes a bit overpowering Kavita's voice. But then Vishal took the mantle and boy..! there was no turning back from there for the song. 


This album was definitely a surprise package. Not too much of variation in terms of musical arrangements but every song has a soul. All you need along with the album of soft songs is a glass of mojito, margarita or wine.

Again, just four songs in the album so not giving out top picks. Just listen to the album once. I am sure you'll enjoy it.


That is all I have for this album. I hope you liked this review. If you do then feel free to share it. Let me know you favourite song of the album or if you have any suggestions/feedback - in the comments below. Until then, Ciao...!


Comments

Popular Posts

Music Mention | Wrong Side Raju (Gujarati) | Sachin-Jigar

Music Review | Dhanak | Tapas Relia

Music Review | TVF Humorously Yours (Web Series) | Vaibhav Bundhoo

Music Review | Raaz Reboot | Jeet Gannguli, Sangeet-Siddharth Haldipur

Music Review | M. S. Dhoni - The Untold Story | Amaal Mallik