Music Review | Dishoom | Pritam

I've been waiting for this album since I saw Jacqueline Fernandez make her moves and fell in love with her, again. I have very high expectations from this album. Pritam is the King of Musical Arrangements. No matter how much people criticize him for taking inspirations from other songs, his albums are always topping the charts. 

So, without further ado, let's get into it and see if this album can dishoom out all the nightmares of bad songs I have listened to this year.

Listen on Saavn:

(Click on the song title to play it in YouTube)

Sau Tarah Ke
Lyrics: Kumaar
Singers: Jonita Gandhi, Amit Mishra
WARNING: Just a little biased after watching the video featuring Jacqueline Fernandez.
As the song started, my feet started tapping slowly moving upwards, my shoulders starting shrugging. Then came the drop before the chorus and ran an adrenaline rush in my body. Got all pumped up opened the lyrics of the song and started singing and dancing. What happened? Amit Mishra's high notes with the fast paced beats are irresistible. Some folks are comparing this song to Afghan Jalebi (Phantom). I rubbish these claims. It is a totally different song. Just because it is composed by Pritam and has a middle eastern feel doesn't make it similar to that song. Special mention to Jonita Gandhi who is the female playback in this song. I've always heard her sing melody songs on YouTube. She got an opportunity to explore a different genre and she nails it!


Lyrics: Mayur Puri
Singers: Raftaar, Shahid Mallya
"Do it my way or else... DISHOOM!!!"
This song is like the angry hot-blooded big brother of your sexy crush. Being a rap song, the lyrics still make sense. I could feel how frustrated the beefy guy is and just wants to crush everything that doesn't go his way. The interlude before the rap portions by Raftaar has some inspiration from Bass Rani by Nucleya

Lyrics: Mayur Puri
Singers: Antara Mitra, Aman Trikha
Aaaaand the honeymoon period of this album has ended. This is not a song. It is just noise to my ears. Total disappointment. 

Lyrics: Mayur Puri
Singers: Nakash Aziz, Antara Mitra
Even Pritam's preferred choice of singer for such dhinchak songs cannot save it. Let me know if you guys figure out the exact cause for this song being so wrong.

Lyrics: Mayur Puri
Singers: Abhijeet Sawant, Aditi Singh Sharma
Let's revisit the first song. Let us change the singers though. With more experienced ones. It doesn't matter if it suites the song or not. Although it is good to see the first Indian Idol Abhijeet Sawant back but this song is not for him. He struggled to get the high notes. His voice is not energetic and hence got shadowed in the beats.


Lyrics: Kumaar
Singers: Abhijeet Sawant, Antara Mitra
This song too has a middle eastern feel. I liked Antara Mitra's singing even though auto tune has been used a little. Abhijeet Sawant saved his reputation with this song. The beats are catchy but no effort has been put into lyrics in terms of making any sense or usage of phrases. The song has less than 3 minutes of run time with same verse repeated twice throughout.

Disappointment continues... After the first two songs, my expectations grew more. I am disheartened by recent albums I've reviewed. Most of these albums have a lot of songs but half them are just a variations of the same songs. Anyways, let's cherry pick the songs of the album.

TOP 3 PICKS:
1. Sau Tarah Ke
2. Toh Dishoom
3. N/A


That is all I have for this album. I hope you liked this review. If you do then feel free to share it. Let me know you favourite song of the album or if you have any suggestions/feedback - in the comments below. Until then, Ciao...!

Check out my video reviews of music album of Dishoom on YouTube:


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Music Mention | Wrong Side Raju (Gujarati) | Sachin-Jigar

Music Review | M. S. Dhoni - The Untold Story | Amaal Mallik

Music Review | Dhanak | Tapas Relia

Music Review | TVF Humorously Yours (Web Series) | Vaibhav Bundhoo

Music Review | A Flying Jatt | Sachin-Jigar